Re: Continuing Professional Development

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

> On Saturday, October 18, 1997 6:29 AM, Nigel Mends, PE
> [SMTP:nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net] wrote:
> >
> > Do you then mean that you did not indulge in any efforts to
> > keep up you were
> > required to do so, or did I miss your point?
> >
> > Nigel
> Nigel,
> I don't think that it really matters. The majority of licensed
> professionals do not participate in seminars or lectures for
> many different reasons. Many are limited by geographic
> constraints that prevent them from attending seminars without
> spend a great deal and losing valuble time from work. The
> creation of a market for those that produce educational
> materials for continuing eduation can expand the market from
> physical seminars to taped, published or Internet distributed
> materials.

Yes, I can see that there's considerable advantage to the creation of
such a market, especially for those of us who don't live in the places
where the major seminars are held.

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> In article <3448B999.5FE088FD(--nospam--at)mt.net>, "Nigel Mends, PE"
> <nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net> wrote:
>
> >Do you then mean that you did not indulge in any efforts to keep up
> you were
> >required to do so, or did I miss your point?
>
> That was my point.
>
> Like the VAST majority of engineers, I see my job as 9-to-5 for the
> most
> part.  It is simply much easier to come to work, do a yeoman's job,
> and go
> home.
>
> However, the new requirements have forced me to comply, and on the
> way,
> I've found that I am being greatly enriched thereby.
>
> When life hands you a lemon...

I guess I just object to the ubiquitous "Nannies" we have around us
these days, ready and so sure they know best to make sure that we floss
between meals and wash behind our ears, and willing to pass all kinds of
laws and regulations to make sure not only that we do those things, but
that we can't possibly evade their constant supervision.

My wife is a teacher, and of course they've had CE requirements for a
lot longer than we have.  She finds that the teachers who didn't bother
to keep current before the CE requirements came in now "meet" the
requirements by taking classes in things like "Relating to Nature," and
such.  I've also talked to engineers in states that have had CE for a
while, and they relate tales of attending seminars where engineers show
up with a bunch of papers, calculations, and plans, and do the same work
they'd be doing in the office, ignoring the subject matter entirely but
collecting the credit for their attendance.

The end result for both teachers and engineers is a whole new level of
bureaucratic paperwork and hassle to keep the Nannies off one's back
while a number of folks skate by doing no more to keep current than they
did before.  Besides that, the configuration of most CE requirements for
engineers essentially penalizes taking serious coursework.  Since one
can't carry credits over for more than a year or so, and a long seminar
or college courses generate way more credits than one needs for renewal,
I think these requirements will encourage folks only to take "fluff," as
the system does not encourage anything more serious.

Of course, my opinion is irrelevant, anyway, because it's all happening
regardless of what I think.;-)

Nigel