Re: gypsum tile?

At 11:41 AM 10/18/1997 -0700, you wrote:
>I am analyzing a 1929 concrete building that describes the partition walls
>to be " 4" gypsum tile".  Is this similar to HCT (hollow clay tile) except
>that it is made from gypsum?  Is it common to have a plaster finish?  I am
>not sure how to determine the weight of the wall since I do not know the
>face shell thickness and unit dimensions. Has anyone had experience in this
>material?

The tiles were typically 12" high, 30" wide, 2", 3", 4", 6" thick, with a
layer of finish plaster each side. The 4" blocks were hollow inside, door
openings were framed in wood or steel. Weight with plaster 24.5 lbs per
square foot, without plaster 15.5 lbs per square foot.

This information is in the 1956 edition of Architectural Graphic Standards.

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada