RE: Continuing Professional Development

On Saturday, October 18, 1997 3:03 PM, Bill Polhemus
[SMTP:poly(--nospam--at)flash.net] wrote:
> Yah, I know.  But I DO manage to keep it 8:30 to 5:30!  The
> business
> doesn't belong to me, so I don't ALWAYS have to put in those
> extra hrs.
>
> I have a family, and an alternate life, so engineering only
> takes up MOST
> of my waking ours.

Here is an example of what I stated. The majority of engineers
are "9-5" employees and are not representative of those of use
who are participating in this discussion. He is correct, and why
shouldn't he be. His responsibility is finishing his work within
the time alotted by his employer and is personal time is a
priortity set to his family life.
The majority of us that debate the issues are debating days,
nights, weekend and it is certainly not uncommon for me to get
on at midnight and find Bill Allen or Dennis McCroskey or Lew
Midland hanging around (and Lew is Three hours later than us).
So let's look at if from another perspective. Would we want our
employee's to gain knowledge that they can bring to our firms
(provided we have employees or plan to)?
If we expect this of our employee's shouldn't we expect this
from ourselves?
How many engineers activly belong to a professional
organization. I don't mean those that pay their dues and read
their monthly newsletters, but those that participate and
support new technology - such as this list.
People, we are the exception to the rule, and we should judge
the necessity for our profession not on our A-Type
personalities, but on the majority of engineers that are
employees.
One more point. I don't know an employee that does not have
dreams or hopes of promotion to management and partnership. The
sad truth is that a very small percentage make it and the rest
move on or out into the indepdent world that we represent. When
they hit the streets, they find that they are unskilled in the
type of work that they tend to get (like wood framing) and must
feel their way through.
Continuing education benfits all. It provides skills that can
prepare an engineer to be on his/her own as well as the employer
who seeks to expand out or gain the most skill for the dollar.
I don't think that the majority of the profession will learn
without incentive. Their free time is just too important.

Dennis Wish PE