Re: Continuing Professional Development

>Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd, but I don't know any engineers
>that work 9-5.
>;^)
>
>Jeff Smith

I'm with you Jeff.  I used to work in S.F., taking the train from the
Peninsula - at S.F. at 8 in the morning and running for the 5:20 in the
afternoon.  I remember sometimes being upset to have to go home!.

Although I felt that I always worked hard for my employers, I worked the
hardest for myself - once 33 weekends on year!

Per the continuing education and the problems with being in remote areas,
such as Dennis has mentioned.  When I was living in the Bay Area, I tried
to attend as many of the SEONC meetings as possible.  But when I moved out
here to the country, I thought that it was going to be really tough to
drive down to S.F. and make the meetings.  What I hadn't counted on was the
local professionals having their own meetings.  We have a group called
S.A.G.E; i.e. Surveyors, architects, geologists and engineers that meet
once a month - this is good for the business side of the various firms,
because the local public agencies also belong.  Within this group is a
structural section that also meets once a month, usually some first class
meetings.  This group is able to bring manufacturer's and professionals to
our meetings, even though we're only talking about a twenty to thirty
person group.  Another plus is having access to the local building officials.

I also know that there are two other similar groups, one at Lake Tahoe and
one in Placer County.  The point is, if you can't get to the big city - try
getting a group of local engineers together and bring these people and
issues to you.

Haven't checked lately, but the SAGE group, will shortly have their own
home page.

Neil Moore, S.E.