Re: Redwood Tree Seismic Hazard ?

I have not seen anything on trees falling from earthquakes around here
but it is a major problem when the winds come.  I know of a few people
just last year who had a tree fall on their house, one was a job I was
working on.  I had about a dozen large fir and pine  trees fall on one
of my properties.  None of the redwood fell.  The pine trees grow
relativly fast and do not develop a great root structure.

DF and redwoods tend to hold up a little better.  The primary thing I
see(other than rot, old age or growing on steep slopes) is when you cut
trees that have been there for a long time, you change the wind pattern
to the other trees.  This sometimes triggers several trees in an area to
fall.  Fortunatly, most of it is useable lumber and I'll be milling it
up for my own use.  Lots of nice, cheap studs, siding, joists and beams.

dennismc