Re: open house

Everyone wrote:

> I'm sure everyone is in agreement that the Berkeley has the best structural
> engineering department.

I would suggest Stanford University for seismic/structural engineering........
I feel that Cal has the best overall structural/seismic department, in
terms of depth of resources and personnel.......You people have got to be
kidding right!!
For undergraduate work, none of the supposed big name schools will give you a
descent education.  You are taught by graduate students in very large classes,
or at the very least, the professors use teaching assistants to do all the work
except the actual class.
For a California undergraduate school, I would suggest a school like Cal Poly
San Luis Obispo.  You will get a lot more personal attention from the
professors and get and education that is gear toward actual engineering
practice.
Once you have finished an undergraduate school education and feel you want to
go on to graduate work, then I would consider one of the big name schools.  And
really you should shop around for the professor you want to work with who
teaches the specialty you are interested in and go to whatever school he is
teaching at, big name or not.

When I was looking for an undergraduate school, I looked to see how heavily the
graduates were recruited by the engineering firms.  I asked to see what firms
were lined up to come and recruit graduates, and how many interviews each
graduate could expect.

Lynn