Re: CEU's or paying for information?

I am selective in attending structural engineering seminars. Even before
seminars were counted as CEU's, I have been attending seminars that are
related to my field of practice. I check the SUBJECT(those related to the
projects I do or latest design methods on building materials I usually use in
my projects, or code changes, etc), LECTURERS(I prefer practicing engineers
instead of professors), LOCATION(preferably in Orange County where I work),
 and SPONSORS(such as SEAOSC. ICBO, ACI, etc.) After attending a number of
these seminars, I can pretty much figure out the good ones and attend their
seminar series regularly(Seaosc Practical Design Series is a good example).
>From my experience, these seminars are very much worth the time, money and
effort to keep me abreast of the latest technology and code changes, plus
they give me invaluable experience on projects done by other engineers in my
field.

To be able to control the quality of these seminars, I suggest that SEOSC,
through its members, develop guidelines for any organization who wishes to
present seminars. Maybe the Engineering Board or the Legislature will be more
receptive to adopting or discussing these guildelines to develop a CEU
program.

To make sure that all attendees learn from these seminars, all employees sent
by their office must present a summary report of what they have learned and
present it to all the other concerned engineers in their office. Those who
paid their own money need not prepare these summary report since I assume
that they went to the seminar to learn and not just to get a CEU.

Regarding just ordering tapes or seminar materials, these may be OK to a
certain extent(better than nothing) but there is a lot of advantages on being
able to ask questions or listening to questions from other attendees,
discussions during and after the seminar that may not be available from tapes
and handouts, and interacting with other attendees. Besides, if one orders
tapes or seminar materials for CEU's, what guarantee or proof will they have
to give that they actually listened or read and understood everything.

CEU is a good idea but to be effective, it must be administered in an
efficient, practical way.

Ernie Natividad