Re: open house

Lynn wrote....

> For undergraduate work, none of the supposed big name schools will
give you a
> descent education.  You are taught by graduate students in very
large classes,
> or at the very least, the professors use teaching assistants to do
all the work
> except the actual class.
> For a California undergraduate school, I would suggest a school
like Cal Poly
> San Luis Obispo.  You will get a lot more personal attention from
the
> professors and get and education that is gear toward actual
engineering
> practice.
> Once you have finished an undergraduate school education and feel
you want to
> go on to graduate work, then I would consider one of the big name
schools.  And
> really you should shop around for the professor you want to work
with who
> teaches the specialty you are interested in and go to whatever
school he is
> teaching at, big name or not.
>
> When I was looking for an undergraduate school, I looked to see how
heavily the
> graduates were recruited by the engineering firms.  I asked to see
what firms
> were lined up to come and recruit graduates, and how many
interviews each
> graduate could expect.
>
> Lynn

I completely agree.  If you're not set on staying at the same school
thru a Masters Degree, an undergraduate degree at Cal Poly San Luis
Obispo (Architectural Engineering) is far superior to any of the
others.  Then pick Stanford or Cal Berkeley or UCSD or UCLA for the
Masters (or try Chicago, Illinois, or MIT back East).  Personally, as
a Cal Poly SLO grad, I found myself in Stanford's Masters program
better prepared than any other undergraduate school education
(especially USC).  In addition, here in California, Cal Poly SLO
grads seem to get selected first by firms hiring.  I do believe
though that the difference in educational choice becomes
insignificant after five years of on-the-job experience.

IMHO,

John