Re: open house

_____________________________

>John Lawson wrote:

>I completely agree.  If you're not set on staying at the same school
>thru a Masters Degree, an undergraduate degree at Cal Poly San Luis
>Obispo (Architectural Engineering) is far superior to any of the
>others.  Then pick Stanford or Cal Berkeley or UCSD or UCLA for the
>Masters (or try Chicago, Illinois, or MIT back East).  Personally, as
>a Cal Poly SLO grad, I found myself in Stanford's Masters program
>better prepared than any other undergraduate school education
>(especially USC).  In addition, here in California, Cal Poly SLO
>grads seem to get selected first by firms hiring.  I do believe
>though that the difference in educational choice becomes
>insignificant after five years of on-the-job experience.

_________________________

Hi Ernie,

If you are going in the field of structural engineering, I agree with John.
Cal Poly has two schools that offers structural engineering. One is in the
school of Engineering where one can major in Civil Engineering with
concentration on structural and the other is in the school of Architecture
and Environmental Design where one would major in Architectural Engineering.
The two programs are very different. The Civil Engineering major offers a
variety such as hydraulic, transportation, structural, etc... This major is
not necessary better then the other school with the exception that the class
size are smaller then the UC system schools, and therefore, the student has a
chance to get to know its instructor. The Architectural Engineering major's
emphasis is mainly structural. The student is required to take two year of
Architectural classes and some construction management classes. In addition,
when the student is in it's third and fourth year, every structural material,
such as concrete, wood, and steel, is taught with one quarter of lecture and
one quarter of lab. In the Civil Engineering department, as some of my
friends were in, the emphasis on structural is less because they have to take
the hydraulics and the transportation.

If you are looking for purely structural engineering, Cal Poly SLO is
definitely the route to go with a major in Architectural Engineering. If you
are looking for a variety, then Cal Poly is good for one who prefers the more
personal touch, otherwise, any reputable school would be okay.

Julia Chen
Cal Poly Alumni