CEU's or paying for info

Dennis Wish:

You hit the nail on the head when you stated that industry considers the
information they have as a marketable commodity.  The worst group that I
have seen is the AIA and their MasterSpec.  You can't just buy the CD-ROM!
In order to buy the CD-ROM, you have to buy the hard copy at $600+, then they
will let you buy the CD-ROM for another $300-$400!  I tried to convince some
SYT (Sweet Young Thing) at AR-AIA that the CD-ROM cost them nothing --- that
they already had the text in their computer and all they had to do was was
make a copy of it and send it out.  For a hard copy, they have to print it
and then pay the postage for the weight of all that paper.  Needless to say,
I could have been talking to a tree.

In the short time that I have been subscribing to this listservice, I have
seen more important technical information freely exchanged without any
thought of reaping financial rewards than I have seen almost anywhere else.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona