Re: open house

Once again I have to stick up for my old alma mater.  You guys seem to
forget that Cal Poly in San Louis is not the only engineering school.
Cal Poly in Pomona has a very fine structural department under their
civil engineering department.  I got both my bachelors and masters
degree from them.  It is where Breyer teaches timber design and where
Bob Schnieder taught concrete, masonry and steel designs.  It is also
where testing was done by the Masonry Institute and Jim Amerahen (sp ?)
on masonry piers in the 60's.  This is where the current values for
masonry in shear was developed.

You can take practical courses in concrete, timber, soils, foundation
design, steel, masonry, advanced concrete design, advanced steel design
and theoretical classes in matrix analysis, finite element and the like.

I've hired people from both schools.  San Louis will have their students
take more architectural background classes, Pomona will have their
students also take classes in water and sewage treatment, traffic
engineering and more surveying.  Graduates from San Louis have more
problems with civil type work than ones from Pomona.

That is my observation and 2 cents worth.

Dennis McCroskey