RE: CEU's or paying for info

From:	Roger Turk [SMTP:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, October 21, 1997 3:13 PM
To:	BlindCopyReceiver:;
Subject:	CEU's or paying for info

Dennis Wish:

You hit the nail on the head when you stated that industry
considers the
information they have as a marketable commodity.  The worst
group that I
have seen is the AIA and their MasterSpec.  You can't just buy
the CD-ROM!
In order to buy the CD-ROM, you have to buy the hard copy at
$600+, then they
will let you buy the CD-ROM for another $300-$400!  I tried to
convince some
SYT (Sweet Young Thing) at AR-AIA that the CD-ROM cost them
nothing --- that
they already had the text in their computer and all they had to
do was was
make a copy of it and send it out.  For a hard copy, they have
to print it
and then pay the postage for the weight of all that paper.
 Needless to say,
I could have been talking to a tree.

In the short time that I have been subscribing to this
listservice, I have
seen more important technical information freely exchanged
without any
thought of reaping financial rewards than I have seen almost
anywhere else.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

That's because we are in the business to assimilate the
information, not profit from the information itself.
Dennis