RE: open house

From:	Lynn Howard [SMTP:lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, October 21, 1997 8:42 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: open house

Everyone wrote:
You people have got to be
kidding right!!
For undergraduate work, none of the supposed big name schools
will give you a descent education.  You are taught by graduate
students in very large classes, or at the very least, the
professors use teaching assistants to do all the work except the
actual class.
For a California undergraduate school, I would suggest a school
like Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.  You will get a lot more personal
attention from the professors and get and education that is gear
toward actual engineering
practice.
Once you have finished an undergraduate school education and
feel you want to go on to graduate work, then I would consider
one of the big name schools.  And
really you should shop around for the professor you want to work
with who
teaches the specialty you are interested in and go to whatever
school he is
teaching at, big name or not.

I'd like to second Lynn's comments and carry it one step
further. Any State college that has a structural cirriculum and
whose instructors are practicing engineers who will teach based
upon real-world problems.
I attended my structural classes at Loyola Marymount but found
them to be very weak on steel, wood and concrete design. They
had one instructor who was an engineer with Hughes or Rockwell
that was an excellent structures teacher - Dr. Franklin Fisher.
I still remember him writing lessons on the blackboard while
sipping a cup of coffee (ah those fond memories).
The best materials classes I took were at Cal State Northridge
from practicing engineers (some of whom were younger than me at
the time). Steel Courses were taught by a practicing engineer
who spent his free time traveling the streets of Northridge (he
was semi-retired) photographing steel framed buildings to use as
graphical examples in his class.
I highly recommend a practical education unless you intend to go
into research and development. Then, by all means, take the
Berkeley's and Stanfords.

Dennis Wish PE