Re: WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

Inittially I would conservatively check the stud assuming it to be unbraced
in the weak axis. For combined axial and lateral load on a stud with a
trib. area of 8" should not be a problem unless you have a tall wall and
are accumulating several floors with large floor spans bearing on it.

Is the primary concern sound attenuation? There are several issues to
balance the priority of sound transfer, diaphragm shear transfer and fire
blocking. (another subject)

Jeff Smith