Re: WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

Bill Allen wrote:

> Since I realize that I'm not the first structural engineer to be asked
> use a party wall as a load bearing wall, I am curious what others have
> done
> in the past to determine the capacity of studs laterally braced on one
> face
> only.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Allen

I always check studs as columns with bending.  If there is no sheathing
on one side, the distance between the top & bottom plates or to
intermediate blocking for bracing is the unbraced length for the weak
axis of the stud.  The worst case is usually that additional blocking is
provided to make the studs work.  This seems like a conservative
approach, others may argue the sheathing on the other side keeps the
full section braced.

Dennis McCroskey