Re: WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

The 94 UBC at sect. 2306.8, in its last paragraph, appears to squarely
address this precise concern, where studs are "adequately sheathed on at
least one side."
The depth, not breadth, is used in calculating le/d.  Maybe it's that way in
later versions too. The same paragraph also covers truss top chords having
planks or sheathing nailed to them on one edge; same outcome. See 2306.7 for
the stud's flexural role: for 2:1 ratio as for 2x4's, no lateral support is
required. CG.