WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall -Reply

>>> "Bill Allen" <BAllenSE(--nospam--at)mail-gw3.pacbell.net> 10/22/97 03:54pm >>>
I am checking the load bearing capacity of a wood framed wall that is
intended to be used in a party wall. This party wall consists of 2x4 studs
@
16" mounted on 2x6 top and bottom plates. . . .. . .

Since I realize that I'm not the first structural engineer to be asked to
use a party wall as a load bearing wall, I am curious what others have
done in the past to determine the capacity of studs laterally braced on
one face only.

Regards,
Bill Allen

I have been told that some product approvals for metal studs require
some type of bracing on the unsheathed side of walls but I have never
seen it for wood. Maybe it is justified. What I do know, is that most walls
of the type you are describing are rated fire resistive walls that require a
reduction for their one or two hour rating per UBC Table 7-B Footnote 19.
There the max L/d is 33  instead of 50 and the maximum F'c is 0.78 of
the normal. I recently reviewed the design of a church that needed to
correct its exterior wall stud sizes to comply. Hope this is also useful for
you.

Tim McCormick, P.E.
City of Los Angeles -Building & Safety