WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

 ----------
From: 	Bill Allen[:ballense(--nospam--at)mail-gw.pacbell.net]
Believe me, the l/d issue is a real thing.

Bill Allen
 -----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Smith <smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

No question about it.  But as you said they had no sheathing and no lateral bracing.  For 20 lb. lateral restraint force your 10d nails @6"o.c. will do just fine even on one side sheathed wall.

Jeff Smith said:
>........ Of course the top and bottom
>plates already are doing that and the floor will transmit ITC (?) sound
>across the wall.  Frankly, I do not have a lot of faith in a staggered stud
>wall to reduce sound transmission, other that the fact that it is a thicker
>wall.
>
>Jeff

I tend to agree here with Jeff Smith and Dennis Wish.  I don't trust staggered walls for the sound isolation.  How about trying to provide separate top and bottom plates by 1/2 inch, and using a midheight blocking if you don't feel comfortable without it?

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson, P.E.
Eichleay Engineers
Concord,  CA
(Well, my current employer does not do wood, so it is even more fun to participate in this discussion and offer my personal HO) :)