patented steel tower bracing connections

We recently inspected a self-supporting radio tower suffering from
extensive corrosion damage.  The diagonal braces were three to
four inch diameter steel pipes, galvanized and painted.  The pipe
ends appeared to be (hot or cold) formed  into cones about four
inches long, pinched down to a diameter of 3/4 inch or so, with an ID
of 3/8".  Tear-drop shaped tabs were welded to each side of the cone,
for a very compact single-bolt, double-shear connection to the leg
knife plates.

Apparently, the lower ends eventually plugged (insect debris?) ,
allowing water to accumulate, leading to severe corrosion and, in
some cases, large holes in the braces.  Interestingly, some of
the holes are at the top end of the braces.

I'm guessing that this end connection may be a patented design.
Does anyone have any information about who the manufacturer/supplier
may have been?

Thanks,
Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.