Re: WOOD - Load bearing studs in a party wall

No, I'm musing on why 2x4's would be OK without blocking when sheathed on
one edge only with gyp board (a condition not expressly covered by that code
section after all) if 2x studs of unlimited depth are clearly OK by code
when sheathed with a flimsy wood material on one side only. I'm admitting
that some engineering thought is needed after all. (You weren't going to use
2x6's in any event so there was no need to reach any conclusion on them.)

Meanwhile, Mr. Fulton posted commentary from the NDS that endorses gyp board
sheathing on one side only, as a general proposition.

Considering the image of a stud sheathed on one edge and held straight
there, but buckled into a curve on the other edge, it is apparent that the
buckled edge is shorter and doesn't fill the gap between top and bottom
plates anymore. So the straight part assumes the load and the crooked edge
lost its reason to stay crooked. This is the approach Stan Johnson
described: see if portions close to the sheathing will do the job on their
own. If so, the free edge can wrinkle like lasagna and it wouldn't matter.
(Funny, two Sac State grads resorting to simple imagery. I hope Mr.
Natividad doesn't let his daughter go there.)

Sorry for saying it garbled earlier. Chuck Greenlaw, SE  Sacramento CA