RE: open house

From:	Roger Turk [SMTP:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent:	Friday, October 24, 1997 3:27 PM
To:	BlindCopyReceiver:;
Subject:	Re: open house

Ernie N.:

By now your daughter probably has an armfull of comments from
the list and
elsewhere, confirming that whenever two engineers get together,
they have 6
different opinions on the same subject.

Roger, I beg to differ. We live in a 3-D world and don't see
life in only two dimensions. Therefore, you can assume for every
engineer there is six degrees of opinions and therefore twelve
opinions for two engineers!!!!!!

The decision of what college to go to is, of course, your
daughter's, as is
the decision of what branch of engineering to study, or, whether
to study
engineering at all.

I would think that she should go for an undergraduate degree in
Civil Engineering at any school and then study law at the best
university she can get into. We all know that the best
engineering you can do to earn a decent living is engineering
law. I personally know of some geographic areas that are virgin
territory to new lawyers looking to sue engineers and
contractors.

COST

Probably the most important aspect, whether Papa is going to pay
or daughter
pays, either from savings, part-time jobs or scholarships.
 Student loans are
easy to get, *but*, she should not forget that they have to be
paid back.

Paid back - possibly more than once. My wife and I just got a
notice from the Department of Education that it is time to pay
back her student loan that she took out in 1981 (National Direct
Student Loan). We paid the loan back twelve years ago. The DOE
demands that we prove it. We discarded all records past ten
years about a year ago. So did Wells Fargo Bank who we made our
payments by check from. So did the IRS who we would have claimed
a deduction for interest in the Reagan era. Now we have no proof
that we paid the loan back and have to fight this out in court.
Funny thing though, the DOE claims that we are not behind and
that we have no additional interest due after seventeen years of
dodging and evasive measures to keep from paying back the loan.
BTW, the school that she took the loan from is no longer in
business and appears that the recovered records are no longer
available. The DOE claims that they assume the information
received about the amount due is valid and it is up to us to
prove otherwise.
Fortunately, I bartered some work with an attorney who worked
for the government. If any of you has had this happen and know
of measures to combat this, please let me know.

Just thought I would add a few funny and depressing comments to
this thread.