Re: UBC94 R/C seismic shearwall boundary element requirements

If you are not aware Chapter 19 of UBC94 is a reprint of ACI 318-89 revised
92 and ACI 318R-89 revised 92.  A good place to find out the reasoning behind
the requirement would be the Commentary to ACI 318-89.  Aditionally if the
printing in the UBC is in italics that portion deffers significantly from the
ACI code.  I however, do not have the 92 revision. therefore I could not look
up the rationale.

Jay L. Crawford