RE: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

From:	ITSEKSON SASHA [SMTP:itsekson(--nospam--at)eichleayca.com]
Sent:	Friday, October 24, 1997 5:17 PM
To:	SEAOC
Subject:	SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

James,

I guess you answered your question.  The response from the list
server has been, so far, as apathetic as the rest of the  SEAOC
membership.  I do think though that there is a need to develop
some CAD guidelines to help engineering community to standardize
the way our drawings look and to reduce the retraining period
for new employees.

I see the need to address this especially for the smaller firms,
because they do not have enough resources to develop their own
complete CAD standards.

Larger companies though will continue to use what they have
developed so far, because of the human's nature to resist the
change, and because of the differences in their areas of
expertise and personal preferences of their CAD managers.

Sasha Itsekson, P.E.
Eichleay Engineers

Sasha,
Speaking strictly from a small office perspective, I do not see
the necessity in developing a standard that are clients
(architects and designers) will not follow. For each different
client, there is a different standard that their drafting
support has developed.
I work from my clients background via X-referencing. This does
not load the drawing into mine, but stays in the background like
a slide. This is far more practical since my designers and
architects tend to make many last minute changes that prevent me
from working on their backgrounds.
BTW, our lack of response is not due to general apathy. I
believe it is simply not an issue we are concerned with and need
not take the time to respond. I believe that James original
question assumed that if there was no response, then the issue
was moot.
If you are interested, my system is very simple and straight
forward.
Sheet numbering:
S1.0 - S1.x General Notes and Specifications
S2.0 - S2.x  Framing Plans and Foundation Plans
S3.0 - S3.x  Details

Cad Layers
Fndt
Fndt_text
Fndt_dim
Fndt_hidden
Fndt_edge
Fndt_Flatwork
Fndt_posts
Fndt_arrows
Frmg_ Same as above
Roof_Same as above
Shear_Wall
Shear_text
Etc.

There are minor variations within each layer, but this is the
clearest way that I can work. Again, I don't concern myself with
what the architect or designer is doing since I do not work on
his sheets.
Another advantage to designing by way of referencing is that he
has prepared the background showning the slab edges and all I
need to do is dimension them and add the shear information.

If you wish to discuss Xref or any cad method for production
usage, I'd be happy to jump in.

Dennis S. Wish PE