From: Robert Grandmaison <robert(--nospam--at)mkmassociates.com>
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org' <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Monday, October 27, 1997 10:36 AM
Subject: RE: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

James et al:

I am wholeheartedly behind the effort to adopt some sort of industry wide
standard. I think we all need to give a little and meet at some common
ground for the good of *all* of us...and by all of us I mean anyone who has
to share a file with another person.

If you NEVER need to share a file, or receive one from another person then
do whatever you'd like to when it comes to CAD standards.

I think what happens with CAD managers (myself being one of them) is that
when they invest a lot of their time and energy (and I might add egos) into
an in-house developed system they are very reluctant to give it up. If they
had it their way they would suggest that the world adopts their
standard...(ee for example how often people will post their layer names,
etc., to a mail list or site). However, the only way any sort of industry
standard will ever be adopted is if we can all (or at least most of us) put
aside our own invented system and agree for the betterment of all to use a
STANDARD- not something that is invented of our own volition.

I won't bother describing the system I'm currently using- I'm not interested
in using it any longer if I can use a system that will help me work with
others. As a consultant that's what I spend a great deal of time
doing...working with others.

Just my $.02,

Robert Grandmaison
MKM & Associates