RE: Open House/Caustic Remarks

From:	Bill Allen [SMTP:BAllenSE(--nospam--at)mail-gw2.pacbell.net]
Sent:	Sunday, October 26, 1997 12:16 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: Open House/Caustic Remarks

Also, I have also been accused of being negative and cynical. I
can only
report on the experiences that have happened to me personally.
For those who
have read my previous e-mail posts (as well as those who know me
personally)
know that I do not "sugar coat" my opinions. I'll leave the
"warm and
fuzzies" to others.

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  I have gotten to know Bill on this list as
well as privately. I can honestly say that he is negative and
cynical. He also doe not hold back his opinions, which I respect
him for. However, I disagree with his opinions (as I do with
most of his opionions).
My son graduated college with a degree in Criminal Justice. I
often wondered how an honor student gets into this type of
profession and wished that he would see the errors of his ways
before he got hurt. Instead, I supported him as I had when he
wanted to be a pro-ball player at age 10. As my luck would have
it, he found it very difficult and very political trying to get
on a local police force. While waiting his turn on the lists, he
went back to school to get his masters degree and teaching
certificate. A job finally came through - not one but three
offers. He turned them all down. Next summer he graduates with
his masters and has been student teaching high school for the
last six months - and he loves it.
My point is that my son Josh, chose a field with much personal
reward, but very little money. The reward he gets from it is the
same reward that I get from my job. Many of you have read my
posts, and in a good majority of them I would appear to be a
dissatisfied Civil worker, not enough money, worried about
getting sued, looking over my shoulder for any SE out to get me
because of my comments. But truthfully, I am in a profession
that I choose and one that I receive may personal rewards and
satisfaction from. If you can't feel this way about your job
then you really need to reconsider your options.
I was fortunate to dabble in Architecture, Sales and Business as
well as Engineering. I also droped in and out of school over
twenty years to take courses that interested me besides my
typical engineering classes. No matter how frustrated I get with
the problems and politics in this field, I am thankful that I
have this ability and have made it work to pay for a nice home
in a nice area that my family can enjoy.
Sure, there are risks as there are in any field. You can own a
store and have a client trip on your step and sue. You can be a
doctor and make a mistake (however you may be financially
happier, but then again I hate needles and blood). You can be a
laborer and worry about your back. You can be an Architect and
be ridiculed by most engineers or you can be a contractor - the
lowliest lifeform on earth (just kidding).
Every job has it's strong and weak sides. It's what we make out
of it and how we look forward to facing the challenges each day.
My advise to the young is to pay your dues and gain as much
experience from working for people for as long as you can. Make
a plan that limits the field if you choose to go it alone. Be
practicle and cautious. Don't expect growth unless you are
willing to gamble for it. As with most of us, you may find peace
of mind simply working alone. Finally, learn good work habits.
Working alone doesn't mean having a lot of time to do what you
want. Working alone generally means working longer and harder
than working for others, but what you accomplish is directly
proportional to the effort that you put in.
Whatever you decide, don't commit to a field that doesn't make
your heart soar.

Dennis Wish PE