RE: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

From:	Robert Grandmaison [SMTP:robert(--nospam--at)mkmassociates.com]
Sent:	Monday, October 27, 1997 10:25 AM
To:	'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject:	RE: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

James et al:

I am wholeheartedly behind the effort to adopt some sort of
industry wide standard. I think we all need to give a little and
meet at some common ground for the good of *all* of us...and by
all of us I mean anyone who has to share a file with another
person.

If you NEVER need to share a file, or receive one from another
person then do whatever you'd like to when it comes to CAD
standards.

I think what happens with CAD managers (myself being one of
them) is that when they invest a lot of their time and energy
(and I might add egos) into an in-house developed system they
are very reluctant to give it up. If they had it their way they
would suggest that the world adopts their standard...(ee for
example how often people will post their layer names, etc., to a
mail list or site). However, the only way any sort of industry
standard will ever be adopted is if we can all (or at least most
of us) put aside our own invented system and agree for the
betterment of all to use a STANDARD- not something that is
invented of our own volition.

I won't bother describing the system I'm currently using- I'm
not interested in using it any longer if I can use a system that
will help me work with others. As a consultant that's what I
spend a great deal of time doing...working with others.

Just my $.02,

Robert Grandmaison
MKM & Associates

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  I don't see the rationale here. If I need
to receive a drawing from you, how hard would it be to simply
follow the layers established on the drawing that you issue me?
If you are refering to line weight, fonts etc, I might agree,
but then you may be forcing me to work on a white background
which strains my sight more than the black or dark blue
background I am already working with.
It is easy to conform to a clients layering system should they
choose that. However, even changing color and lineweights can be
done using filtering commands before the final drawing is
issued.

I've been working on CAD since 1982 and I honestly don't see the
need to standardize a layering system or accept a standard that
may not work well within my office.

I think we are trying to standarize too much, we need to
maintain some creativity to bend around the standards for
something that works well for each of us. This is not to say
that I don't believe in a standard, I just feel a standard
should be limited to one office not an industry.

Dennis Wish PE