Asphalt Overlay

Not knowing anything about asphalt, I feel that I can speak freely on it :-).

Seriously, though, questions that I would ask would be:

1. Were the tests performed during construction performed at the required
time?  (I.E., is there a specific time after laying and compacting the the
tests were supposed to be performed?)

2. Asphalt, to the best of my knowledge, *does* contain volatile material.
Would evaporation of that volatile material account for the 5 percent density
drop?

3. Were both density tests performed by the same company and the same
personnel using the same methods and the same equipment?  If nuclear density
testing was performed, was the instrument recalibrated in the interim?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona