Re: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

> Excuse me Gentlemen. I did not request that this thread die, I
> simply stated my opinion. I am glad that both Barry and Robert
> took the time to state their opinions on the list rather than
> privately or else the general concensus would have been to let
> this die.

Sorry Dennis (and Bill), I realize my post may have looked like I was
pointing at you and Bill but that was not my intention. I don't think
anyone directly stated that anyway and it was just my sense of the
direction that some of the discussion was taking.

> The fact is that some of you find usefulness in developing a
> standard. This is reason enough to continue the thread or even
> the work on the list. I would suggest that those of you
> interested work on this privately and keep the rest of us aware
> of your progress.
> I think what gets me most upset to read these comments is that
> those who valued a standard had to respond in private rather
> than let the rest of us hear reasons why they supported the
> issue. Maybe my thinking is all screwed up from the way I am set
> in my business. Possibly some of you can show me a better way.
> By answering privately you assume our minds are set and I feel
> that this can not be farther from the truth.

Actually Jim had asked that those who were interested in working on this
respond to him privately. I wasn't avoiding a direct response on the
listserv. In fact, I am one of those small offices who have picked away
at developing a standard and think this effort would be of great service
to those who would like to get a better start on there organization. I
started my office with little business experience and used an ancient
chart of accounts developed by the CEAC. This saved me untold time and
effort and got me considering things that may have taken years for me to
see.

> When Bill Allen responded with his layer method, I printed the
> post out so that I can see if his method is more logical than
> mine and I really liked the idea of creating scripts to turn
> layers on and off. So there was just one example of what I
> learned about this thread.
> My point? Don't be afraid to have an opinion that does not
> follow the majority. The reason for this list is not to allow me
> to spout my limited wisdom but for me to have the oportunity to
> learn from each of you that has a different opinion and to allow
> me to weigh that opinion against my own in order to find a
> better solution that will work for me.
>
> Please, please, please don't assume that any one of us (Even
> Bill Allen) is set in our ways. I think we are all professional
> and intellegent enough to recognize a good idea.
>
> Dennis Wish PE

Lastly, I do confess to seething a few times in front of my screen, but
my mother always told me to count to ten before responding and it still
seems to work. This forum, as you all well know, is both terrific and
fragile at times. We deal with opinion quite frequently and emotion is
difficult to convey correctly 100% of the time. (Of course this is
difficult in personal contact also). My rants are short bursts for the
most part, but I'll work on pitching my two cents and being less of a
lurker.......

Barry
begin:          vcard
fn:             Barry H. Welliver
n:              Welliver;Barry H.
email;internet: wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard