Re: Steel Building Bracing

Chris Towne wrote:

> What factor of safety is prudent on design of steel cable for tension
> x-framing?
>
> Chris Towne, E.I.T.

Don't forget the 3 Rw/8 X the UBC seismic force in your design, I don't
have the UBC Code section handy but it should be under TENSION-ONLY
braced frame section. I had reviewed some engineer's design that did not
check for 3 Rw/8 x UBC forces and he ended up revising his details that
had gone for bid and cost the owner an arm and leg for the revision.
The reason being that they were using some old computer program that
never got updated for that section of the Code --- another unproper use
of computer program.