RE: Steel Building Bracing

 ----------
From: 	Chris Towne[:ctowne(--nospam--at)wvinter.net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, October 28, 1997 1:36 PM
To: 	seaoc
Cc: 	ITSEKSON SASHA
Subject: 	Steel Building Bracing

What factor of safety is prudent on design of steel cable for tension
x-framing?

Chris Towne, E.I.T.

Chris,

	In the design of cable nets and fabric tensioned structures the use of factor of safety varies depending on the loading case.  Usually it varies from 2 to 2.7. There is a 1973 code that defines these and also breaking strengths of different types of cables, but I blank out on the name of it.  Also see ASCE Standard 17-95 that I think was adopted based on the above code.

As it was pointed out before, keep in mind that it is important to get the inelastic stretch out of the cables (set the modulus) prior to installation.  In order to do that they prestrech cables during the fabrication to the levels ,I believe, of 90% of yield or 65% of breaking load ( anybody correct if I'm wrong here).

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson, PE