Re: Increasing Footing Bearing Pressure

In my experience, grouting is used to control settlement or to control the
expansive nature of the soils, and is not usually used specifically to
increase design bearing pressure.   Theoretically, however, you would expect
an increase in bearing value in a grouted soil.  The increase would depend on
the type of grouting (pressure or lens), the depths at which the soils are
grouted, among other factors.  You might want to contact the specialty
grouting companies for detailed information on their procedures, and what
grouting procedure they would recommend to achieve your goals.  I have found
that companies like PressureGrout and Hayward Baker (two of the most active
on the West Coast) are very helpful in evaluating sites.

Steve Helfrich, P.E., G.E.