Re: Expansion Anchors in Masonry

Burch, Daniel wrote:

> Is anyone aware of an expansion anchor which has a current ICBO Report
> which addresses a masonry application?  ITW used to in their 1992
> version of Report #1372 but the 1997 version no longer addresses this
> application.  I contacted the local ITW rep and he said that they did
> not resubmit the masonry application on purpose.  Apparently they
> figured no one else needed it (they ICBO approval) so why should they.
> Our local code jurisdiction is taking the stance that there is no
> product presently available with a current ICBO Report and therefore
> they will not allow the application.
>
> Dan Burch

Hilti Kwik Bolt II has values in their catalog for bolts in grouted filled
block (ASTM C90, Grade N, type I).  However, I do not kind an ICBO report
in the back of their manual for this application.
It is surprising that a building official will not accept a building
product unless it has an ICBO report.  That is a little harsh and
unrealistic in my opinion.

Lynn