Re: Steel Building Bracing

>An interesting question here, but is anyone using bolted moment connections
>in their design to resist dynamic forces such as earthquake loads? The
>design example in the AISC manual (ASD), p. 4-116, 9th ed. specifies that
>this example is for "static loading only". This connection also appears to
>be inconsistent with the new cover plate designs proposed by FEMA.

The frames I was referring to used columns made from turned in coldformed
channels welded to form a box and the beams are placed each side of the
channel box bolted presumably in double shear. Therefore rigidity is
achieved through shear connections of the bolts with no full pen welds. I
have pondered this type of detail for light renovation work to avoid the
full pen welds.  I never saw the actual drawings, it was verbally decribed
to me.

But to answer your question, I have heard of a CA engineer who is
developing a (proprietary?) type of moment connection that uses a
completely cast joint with bolted connections. Anyone know more about this?

Also, you may recall that I posted a note back in April regarding the
publication of Seismic Design of Column-Tree Moment-Resisting Frames,
(bolted frames) for which I was reprimaned by the publisher for mentioning
it over the list...so I won't do that again ;^0

Jeff Smith