Re: Strange but True (SB 828)

At 04:25 PM 10/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I agree that the public's interest and the PROFESSIONAL's interest should be
>and, I believe, are the same. Let's look at another example though where
>this may appear to be true but actually not.
>
>Socialized medicine.
>
>Say our "wonderful" government (i.e., Her Highness, Hillary) decides
>socialized medicine would be in the best interest of the general public. She
>mandates that every one shall be enrolled in a medical program, whether they
>can afford it or not. Our taxes go up to pay for this program (of course
>because they _never_ go down). All of a sudden, there is a shortage of
>doctors. To compensate for this, either the medical schools have to drop
>their standards to let more students in and to graduate or this wondrous
>program is modified so that non-MDs are allowed to perform certain
>procedures that are here-to-for reserved for the MDs.
>
>Now, some would say that this IS in the public's interest because people who
>had not been able to get medical attention now can. All I will say is that
>the medical attention I get now is going to be downgraded. Hmmm, Mexico has
>socialized medicine, let's use that model!!
>
>While I love my country, I don't trust my government and I have ZERO faith
>in any activity the government does under the guise of "public safety".
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen
>(the cynic)

Bill, you are far from alone. Our country was born of distrust of
government. That's why the Bill of Rights exist. Our founding fathers,
having the same distrust as you, sought to limit the power of the
government. Their success depends upon cynics, such as yourself, who point
out abuses under the guise of "public safety".

I did not mean to imply that the politicians and bureaucrats are or were the
best judges of what is in the public's best interest. Only a fool would do
so, given half the amount of crap and misdeeds the press digs up on them.
Nor did I mean to imply that legitimate standards should be reduced or
eliminated. As an ex planchecker, I have reviewed too many plans and
calculations where licensed engineers displayed less than desired competence
to do that.

As I understood it, under the amendment the selection of which products are
specified for a building project would remain with the licensed ME or EE and
the revised exemption language would not change this requirement. Thus, the
public remains fully protected. So who losses, the bureaucrats at BORPELS,
who face the loss of fees and seem more interested in preserving their
fiefdoms than anything else? What legitimate complaint did CELSOC have?

Robert