Re: Strange but True (SB 828)

>It may be easier to attack the problem from another direction. Instead to
>trying to limit the ability to sign plans, specifications and calculations
>for the structural design to SEs, a better solution may be to require that
>the review and approval of the structural portion of plans and
>specifications, by cities and counties, be under the responsible charge of a
>SE. The public could be protected without unnecessarily and unreasonably
>restricting competent CEs and architects. The problem would then be a
>technical one of insuring that the code did not permit inadequate designs.
>Would CELSOC support such a proposal? Some how I doubt it.
>
>Robert

Robert and Bill:

I agree that this is an excellent idea but not politically feasible in some
areas.  We use to do plan checking for a city on the San Francisco
peninsula and ran into trouble because we were enforcing the minimum UBC.
We were dismissed because we rejected a civil-surveyor type's structural
calculation's and plan submittal for the fifth or sixth time.

If this could become a reality, would there be a way to eliminate the
political pressures on building departments by politicians and fat cats?

If I remember correctly, didn't CEAC and CELSOC merge some years back.  If
I also remember correctly, very few S.E.'s opted to join CELSOC.  That may
be changed by now but I remember attending a couple of their meetings and
they seemed to be dominated by surveyor/land planning types with no
technical emphasis.  Possibly SEAOC should be the organization championing
this cause.

Another factor that seems to be possibly lurking in the background - for
all areas, not just California.  The insurance industry has been reviewing
building departments.  Does this fortell the possibility that home owner
insurance rates will be influenced by the quality of your local building
department?  Does the insurance industry monitor litigation brought by
building owner's (large buildings and residences) against engineers,
architects and contractors alike, which can be traced back to poor or even
non-existent plan checks and inspections?

Neil Moore, S.E.
who, after 45 years in engineering, may
be looking for a second career