RE: Strange but True (SB 828)

On Saturday, November 01, 1997 7:48 AM, Robert McGhie
[SMTP:robert0(--nospam--at)jps.net] wrote:
> In my experience, architects are much less of a problem than
> civils. The architects generally seemed to recognize that they
lacked the ability to do the structural design and hired SEs for
that work. The problem is not necessarily with those with
limited experience but those who fail to recognize their
limitations and fail to seek help or assistance.

Dennis Wish reply's;
Robert, Unfortunatly you described the majority of Architects in
my area who do not admit their limitations and don't consider
the concerns of the engineering community to be very important
with residential and small commercial projects. Admittedly, many
of these architects are Polytechnic graduates who do get an
adequate amount of knowledge in engineering to be dangerous. I
say this  because they do not practice in the field and perform
an apprenticship to gain a practical understanding of the
engineering field. Nor do they stay abreast of the changes and
measures that we devote many hours to.
I don't remember running into this type of problem in a large
city like Los Angeles, but in smaller towns the problems that
you describe run rampant through the archtiectural community.
The reason appears to be that the extra money that the architect
earns for engineering seems to overtake his ethical
responsibility to know his limitations and not practice in an
area that he is unfamiliar. This is also justified by his
personal satisfaction that a Cal-Poly education is enough to
allow him to do his own calculations to support his
architectural design.
I've plan checked dozens of high-end custom homes engineered by
architects and in most cases had to walk then through the
dangerous mistakes that they made.
None of us are perfect - even our local engineers, however, we
spend more or our design time devoted to the specifics of
structural engineering than trying to spread ourselves thin on
multiple disiplines.

Dennis Wish PE