RE: Strange but True (S

This is in response to Chuck Greenlaw's response to Robert McGhie.

I have observed that the more innocuous legislation is, the more dangerous it
is.

A number of years ago, a member of the Arizona legislature, a registered EE,
introduced and had passed a simple, innocuous bit of legislation that simply
said,  "Not withstanding other provisions of the law, price shall be a
consideration in selecting professional services."  (This is from memory,
and should not be considered as an exact quote, but it is pretty close.)  The
"other provisions" of the law exempted professional services from
the competitive bidding requirements of the state statutes.

As soon as this became law, the attorney general issued an opinion that state
agencies *must* solicit competitive bids for professional services,
including *legal* services.  The fact that "price" *always* was a
consideration by state agencies made no difference.  There was never a "blank
check" contract by any state agency that I am aware of.  In negotiating a fee
with a professional, if the agency felt that the proposed fee was too high,
negotiations would terminate and new negotiations would begin with another
qualified professional.

Because this legislation was so innocuous, it was not opposed by any
professional association; once it became law, it was too late to oppose it.

I just wonder when SB 828's provisions will be extended to industrial
corporations like pre-fabricated truss manufacturers, metal building
manufacturers, etc.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  To Stan Caldwell:  I saw the article in a magazine and was sitting back
waiting to see how long it would be before a CA engineer would bring it up on
the listservice.