RE: Strange but True (S

At 04:58 PM 11/1/97 -0500,
A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona wrote:

snip

>I just wonder when SB 828's provisions will be extended to industrial
>corporations like pre-fabricated truss manufacturers, metal building
>manufacturers, etc.

Would this really represent a problem? Consider Trus Joist TJIs. Are the
glue joints between the web and flanges designed by an engineer registered
in your state or any particular state?

As the engineer of record you are free to specify that the manufactures'
design documents for pre-fabricated trusses and metal building frames and
components, to be incorporated into your projects, be signed or sealed by an
engineer registered in your state. Alternately, (Except for TX?) you could
require that the manufacture provide you with detailed drawings and
calculations for your review and signature. Either way, you, not the
manufacture, are making the determination that the product the manufacture
proposes to furnish meets the requirements of your project. Personally, I am
more interested in the manufactures' quality control and quality assurance
procedures than what state their engineers may be registered in or even if
they are registered, so long as they can rationally justify their design.

In addition, I believe pre-fabricated trusses and metal buildings would be
classified as products in California. Thus, the manufactures' liability
would be governed by strict products liability not a lesser negligence
standard. Under strict products liability law in California, a design defect
occurs either when the design of the product fails to meet consumer
expectations as to safety or when, on balance, the risk of danger inherent
in the challenged design outweighs the benefits of the design. Therefore,
the manufacture has an even greater interest is seeing that its products are
properly designed. I fail to see how such an exemption would materially
reduce public safety, as long as the engineer of record is free to reject
products he or she feels are inadequate.

Robert