RE: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

From:	dennismc [SMTP:dennismc(--nospam--at)dennismc.com]
Sent:	Sunday, November 02, 1997 2:55 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: SEAOC CAD STANDARDS

Boy are you guys rookies.

I started with version 1.1 (or was it 1.2?) in 1983, then 1.6,
then 2.0,
2.5, 3.0 then it jumped to 9.0, 10,11,12 and now 14.   ( I don't
remember 5.0?

Well, I you have me beat on Autocad, however, I started in 1982
developing standards and converting drawings to Cadam for Hughes
Helicopter and McDonnell Douglas. Boy did I feel that this was a
powerful system, except when others got online and I had to wait
up to five minutes between commands - a daily occurance.
At the time, AutoCad was first starting out and the only machine
you could buy was an XT. AutoCad was not up to speed with larger
systems until about version 2.5 (which is the version referred
to as version 5). This set the PC business on fire as for about
the first time, a CAD package was more powerful than CADAM on
mainframe. Consider the difference today. Version 2.5 ran on a
very fast (10MHz) 286 and needed a whopping 1 meg of memory and
at least a 20 meg hard drive to store drawings. It came on
5-1/4" floppies and was considered a premium system.
Graphic Accelerators started to come into being and cost almost
as much as the software (almost $2000.00 I believe). Other
add-ons came and went as did structural engineering packages
(AutoPE) which would be a pleasure to have even today.
It was a real pleasure to evolve with AutoDesk as many of you
remember the growing pains and wish lists that are still not
satisfied to this day.
Now we are seeing powerful low cost systems that have more to
offer than AutoCad, but the stability of those companies are
very much an issue. It is not that you get what you pay for, it
is simply that AutoDesk charges much more to stay financially
healthy enough to be around for a while and not leave many of us
orphans.
Dennis Wish PE