Re: Strange but True (SB 828)

>On Sat, 01 Nov 1997 13:18:16, Nigel Mends wrote:

>"You know, this is the second such comment I've read in this thread today.
 No
>offense, but I submit that demonizing politicians and legislators as "fat
>cats," for example, oversimplifies the problem the profession faces and
reduces the
>situation to "us" versus a now-cartoon "them."  I sense the same pejorative
>attitude in the way folks refer to the public here, in many cases.  We must
>remember that we are dealing with *people*, no more, no less, and like all
>people they come in good forms and bad ones.
>
>Let's face it:  as a profession we have been and continue to be rather
>insular, and we generally consider politics beneath our collective
dignity; that
>getting involved in the public arena would somehow "soil" us.  The evidence
>provided by the number of problems the profession faces, and we've
provided a pretty good
>list of them here over the last few months, and the lack of success the
>discussion indicates we've had in dealing them with them, would indicate that
>perhaps we should try a new approach in all such arenas.  Consider that
aphorism:
> "Repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome >defines
>insanity." :-)"
>

>[Bill Cain] I must strongly agree with Nigel.  I have served on a local
>city council including a term as mayor and currently serve on the local
>school board. There are capable and incapable (and yes, some outright
>"crooks") people serving.   One thing I've noticed is an almost complete
>lack of participation in local government by engineers (at least in my
>area).  Participation is one of the easiest ways to make sure things are
>done on a rational basis.  Sure it takes time and effort, but what
>enterprise that is worthwhile doesn't?
>
>I would challenge all of you who want to complain about the system to
>instead put that energy into improving it by your active participation.
>You can make a huge difference!

>>Neil Moore wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that this is an excellent idea but not politically feasible in
some
>>> areas.  We use to do plan checking for a city on the San Francisco
>>> peninsula and ran into trouble because we were enforcing the minimum UBC.
>>> We were dismissed because we rejected a civil-surveyor type's structural
>>> calculation's and plan submittal for the fifth or sixth time.
>>>
>>> If this could become a reality, would there be a way to eliminate the
>>> political pressures on building departments by politicians and fat cats?

Bill and Nigel:

Consider our local county water board election tomorrow.  Some quotes from
one of the members "hit" mailer received late last week:

The mailer's propaganda against the opponent says:  (An engineer)

"Is Obsessed with a vendetta..."

"Supports the Regional Water Quality Board's overzealous demands......but
will cost rate payers anywhere from $12 to $ million."

"....He made a major blunder, giving it a clean bill of health,..... cost
E.I.D. rate payers a $100,000 fine."

"In spite of the troubles he caused, has the audacity to chastise E.I.D......"

The sender of this mailer is the incumbent.  His qualifications?  Well, a
degree in Political Science with Management and Supervision or an
Equivalent Bachelor's Degree in Management and Supervision, depending upon
which mailer you read.  He is also a former real estate agent.

There is also a second position on this board with an engineer contesting
this spot.  He was subject to a similar hit piece just before this election
and also has no way to respond to any untruthful statements by his opponent.

To compete for votes in this arena requires a very tough skin with the
capacity to be able to take blind sides and continue on.

Neil Moore, S.E.