RE: Strange but True (SB 828)

From:	Nigel Mends, PE [SMTP:nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net]
Sent:	Monday, November 03, 1997 3:55 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: Strange but True (SB 828)

Neil Moore wrote:

> Nigel:
>
> I appreciate and respect your comments, but I suggest that you
read my
> Sunday post re: Standing Fiirm, which focuses on Brad Boehm,
P.E.  He is
> the City of Sacramento's building official who is apparently
trying to
> enforce the MINIMUM U.B.C. standards.  I know something about
this as well
> as his history here in El Dorado County where he also went up
against the
> good old boy establishment.

Perhaps his position would be a lot more tenable if more
engineers were involved
in what's going on at all levels?  This guy's out there all by
hisse'f, so of
course he looks like a bug looking for a windshield on the
highway of life.

> For your information, I'm on the county's building department
appeal board
> which is either a reward or a penalty for supporting Brad
Boehm's possibly
> quixotical efforts in the past.  I'm also on a committee of
architects and
> structural engineers for the City of Sacramento and am a past
chairman of
> the Computer Computation Committee of SEONC.  I'm not as
active as I used
> to be because like many of the rest of the list, I pretty much
run a one
> man show, even though I am now employed by a larger firm.

Coo-oo-ool! :-)  Now let's get the rest of the folks on this
list equally
involved! :-D

Nigel

We have a very similar situation here in the Coachella Valley. A
local engineer (who I have great respect for) became the acting
building official for Rancho Mirage. He as taken great efforts
to create a minimum standard requirement for submittals and has
had nothing but criticism from the building community. He is
accused of being too rigid and unyielding.
I might agree with the general public comments had I not had the
opportunity to work for him as a plan checker (he started by
having the contracts with three cities out here to due contract
plan checking).
I support his efforts one hundred percent. He is known as a no
nonsense engineer with no sense of humor. However, he never
expects more from a submittal than he provides on his own
packages. I found this out when I back checked a couple of
projects that he did.
Many of you may recall the thread that I posted regarding my
fight with a local contractor after structural observation
became a requirement. Much of this type of argument is falling
by the wayside as there is little left to argue when more
information appears on the plans. Stricter plan check submittals
and expectations has equated to fewer questions in the field and
less arguing and threats of law suits due to this plan checkers
greater expectations.
I might remind you that he is not asking for anything in excess
of minimum standards, however he does expect the plans to
reflect all of the information and not expect anything left to
 the discretion of the contractor in the field.
I commend Mr. Boehm on his strong stand. As long as there is not
animosity in the performance of his job and he treats everyone
with the same expectations, his actions are justified.
The article mentions the loss of a 25 million dollar project due
to his requirements. If every building official did his job as
diligently, the project would not find a home in any other city.
I am surprised about one thing. I am surprised that the city
council has not either, put heavy pressure on this official or
refused to renew his contract. This has happened in my area and
is the reason for some very poor quality of construction.
Dennis S. Wish PE