stresses in pipes

Does anyone have a suggestion for finding the stresses induced in a pipe by a
point load?  We are looking at the design of a davit for an exterior window
washing scaffolding system.  The moment created by the weight of the workers'
platform is resisted by the davit bearing on the sides of the socket it is
placed in.  The industry standard for the davit design is a 5" schedule 80
aluminum pipe, but we are having a hard time to make it "work" (i.e. the local
effects of the bearing appear to overstress the pipe section) with simple hand
calculations.   The required FS is 4 against yielding per CAL-OSHA.   Perhaps
only a computer model will give accurate results, but we would like to explore
other options first.

B. Erickson