From: Mark Middlebrook <MarkMid(--nospam--at)pacbell.net>
To: 'SEAOC List' <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, November 05, 1997 12:16 PM
Subject: RE: CAD Programs

Yes, each of the CAD programs has customization features. But none has had AutoLISP or the other AutoCAD customization interfaces, which means that they can't run third party applications written for AutoCAD, and they can't use the zillions of little AutoLISP utilities and programs that are available. That apparently will change now that Visio and IMSI are adding AutoLISP emulation, which is a good thing. But then there'll be another compatibility issue (AutoLISP emulation), not to mention ADS and ObjectARX....

I'm not defending Autodesk, AutoCAD, or AutoCAD's price. In many ways Autodesk does have design firms over a barrel - in the same way that Microsoft does vis-à-vis operating systems (and, increasingly, business applications). But that's life. In my view it's usually easier and makes better business sense to use software that's standard and widely supported.

- Mark Middlebrook  73030.1604(--nospam--at)compuserve.com  MarkMid(--nospam--at)pacbell.net ***
*   Association of California (SEAOC) email server. To
*   admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type
*   "join seaoc" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
*   to admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message
*   type "leave seaoc" (no quotes). For questions, send
*   email to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org. Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be reposted
*   site at: http://www.seaoc.org