RE: CAD Programs

>I'm a bit biased, I'll say this up front...
>But, no one has even mentioned the second most popular (in terms of seats)
>CAD program, MicroStation, written by Bentley Systems, Inc.
>
>Considering Structural engineering only, there appears to be a direct
>corelation between the size of the structural firm, and the choice between
>Autocad and MicroStation.   The larger the structural firm, the more likely
>they are to use MicroStation... the smaller the firm, the more Autocad is
>used.
>
>Can you all please comment on why this is?
>
>JBarr
>Intergraph Developer

Yes:  "Bigger is Better!"  ... and so is Bentley Microstation!

The other reason that large firms use Microstation is that most large
firms are multi-disciplined, and heavily involved in public works
projects.  Most government agencies (at least in Texas) require
Intergraph.  On the other hand, many of our private sector clients
require AutoCad.  Fortunately, the two platforms finally have evolved to
where they translate back and forth pretty well.  We have a few Autocad
seats, but they are out-numbered 10:1 by Microstation seats.  Most of
our work, even in the private sector, is happily produced in
Microstation.

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

Bumper Sticker Wisdom:
"Jack Kevorkian for White House Physician"