Re: Online (Dennis Wish - Don't Read This)

Bill:

Doing work for SEAOC or SEAOSC is voluntary. I don't think that members who give their time to promote SEAOC or SEAOSC are doing it for some gains.

Dennis Wish and Dennis McCroskey are both doing a great job. Both are members of CAC and the entire committee has done a tremendous job. This list server is a small example.

Here is what we are currently working on:

1. Redesign entire web site to make it more interactive.
2. Include salary survey forms on our web site which will show results in real time.
3. A job forum and a resume bank that will find a matching employee/employer for a SEAOC member.
4. Email account for all the officers of SEAOC and all other sections.
5. Chat rooms for each State committee.
6. A legislative section on our web site where SEAOC can post its position on different issues.
7. A video server which will allow users to view past SEAOC technical seminars using real video technology.
8. An audio server where users can listen to technical seminars and earn CEU by filling in a questionnaire at the end.
9. A video conference server that will allow SEAOC officers to conference using their computers. This could also help reduce out of town meetings for the state committees.
10. An emergency response system that will give critical map, data and information to SEAOC members immediately after an event.
11. Release electronic copy of monthly newsletters on our web site.
12. provide the latest copy of Blue Book and Vision 2000 on our web site.
13. Last, but not the least, allow members to Vote on our web site.

There is a lot of work to be done. So, stop nagging and join the computer applications committee and help us achieve these goal sooner.

BTW, most of the SEAOC and SEAOSC officers have email address and are subscribed to this list. They like to listen, and I am sure they hear your concerns loud and clear.

Shafat Qazi, P.E.
Chief Strategist
SEAOC CAC.

There are three type of people in this world:
1. That make things happen. "The real players".
2. Second, and a bigger group, those who like to watch things happen. "The Spectators".
3. Third, and the largest group who ask "What happened?". These are the people that prefer not to get involved until the show is over. I call them "The Sleepers".

At 03:21 PM 11/6/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Bill, thank you for voicing your oppinion. I too was very disapointed in not
>finding Dennis Wish's "publication" in the SEAOSC & SEAOC news letter. His
>articles are always so refreshing and very useful and helpful. Whenever I had
>a computer (or program) related question, Dennis is always willing to help BY
>RETUTN MAIL !!!!
>I really wonder, if SEAOC & SEAOSC really know how much Dennis is really
>appreciated by this audience!!!!
>
>Tony Luisoni

I don't think so or they (SEAOC/SEAOSC) would not have changed what was working. In the same vein, I don't think Dennis McCroskey gets the recognition for the effort he has volunteered in developing and maintaining the seaosc web pages.

To go a step further, I don't believe the seaoc membership is very much aware of what goes on here on this listserv, much of which is seaoc related. There have been a lot of suggestions posted here and discussed that would improve and expand the service of the organization (i.e., expanding committee meetings to cyberspace, putting seminars and education tools on the 'Net) but I am fairly certain that these topics do not reach our illustrious leaders. This is due to the fact that most of our elected leaders are not on the 'Net.

I'm pretty sure I could go through the seaosc roster and not find any e-mail addresses for our officers. Of course, mine's not there either because I did not have one when it was published and I've changed ISPs since. The only one I'm aware of that does have an e-mail address is the chair of the Computer Applications Committee [someone's got to keep me in line :o) ].

If issues like these upset you as much as it does me, I would like to suggest that our officers publish their e-mail address as well as subscribe and participate on this listserv. Around election time, we could print the names of the incumbents who do and don't as well as print names of challengers who do. Maybe this way we could "encourage" our officers to take us a little more seriously.

If you have any other thoughts on this topic, I would be interested in hearing them.

Regards,
Bill Allen

<<<<