Re: Questions on UBC-97 and ASCE-95 Seismic Codes

Stan:

Your interpretation of Bill Cain's response is not correct.  Please
refer to Tables 1.4.2.4a and 1.4.2.4b of "NEHRP Recommended Provisions
for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings", 1994 Edition, May 1995, FEMA
222A.  The seismic coefficients, Ca and Cb, always increase with
increasing effective peak acceleration, Aa, and effective peak
velocity-related acceleration, Av.

However, in Tables 1.4.2.3a and 1.4.2.3b of the same document, the site
coefficients Fa and Fv decrease as shaking intensity increases for soil
profile type E.  This is due to soil non-linear behavior as described in
Bill Cain's response.

Hope the above helps to clear the confusion in the latest code
provisions.

Regards,

Chang Chen, Ph.D., P.E.
Apollo Consulting, Inc.