Permit Requirement Quest

Section 106.3.4.2 of the UBC provides for "Deferred submittals," which I have
always assumed was for the situations that Lew Midland addresses.  If the
jurisdiction has adopted the UBC without amending this section, then I would
assume that deferred submittals that "... have prior approval of the building
official," and are "... list[ed on the plans as] deferred submittals..."
would fall under this provision.

I can well understand why a building official would require everything to be
submitted at the same time, as tracking which permits have deferred
submittals would not be necessary.  Sometimes, pre-fabricated roof truss
calculations/drawings never *do* get submitted once a building permit is
issued and, if this has been a frequent occurence in your area, it could be
the reason for the building official's requirement.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona