Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Permit Requirement Question

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I usually solve this problem by having a "Deffered Approval" area on the
cover sheet of the set of plans.  This area lists all items,
archiectural, structural etc. that will need further review once the
info is obtained.  This has worked with state as well as local


ErnieNSE(--nospam--at) wrote:

> I would like to know too. And I think oher engineers wants to hear
> about
> this. Lets keep it in this listserver unless a lot of people object.
> This has been a problem with some of my jobs especially with
> pre-fabricated
> roof trusses where the city will require full submittal for plans and
> calcs
> for the trussses. This is a specialty item that truss manufacturers
> are the
> experts in their design and detailing. The problem is that the owner
> usually
> cannot hire the truss manufacturer until the contruction contract is
> awarded
> to the winning general contractor who picks the winning truss
> manufacturer.
> The truss manufacturer on the other hand will not spend time and
> effort to
> provide cals and plans until they get the job. It's a catch 22
> situation. I
> know the city of LA requires this and fortunately, some truss
> manufacturers
> will spend some time to do calcs and plans for some engineers only if
> you
> know them and have worked with them on some of your jobs.
> I have argued with some cities on this requirement and sometimes the
> senior
> planchecker or the building official will allow an exemption but not
> all the
> time. There must be a way to standardize this requirement or at least
> for
> them to provide guidelines on how we can provide enough information on
> the
> plans and calcs but not the whole thing which is not practical.
> Ernie Natividad