Re: Online (Dennis Wish - Don't Read This)

If we cannot have Online in the mail, can we have it in the listserve or
maybe a website? Actually, I didn't notice the missing Online in my Seosc
Newsletter since I follow the listserve and........ well........who needs
another newsletter to read. This is better and it is even interactive!!!!!.
Whatever Dennis Wish wants to say (or even anybody) they can say it here,
with no editor required. We just read and respond to topics we are interested
in, anytime, anyday. I have learned a lot more from this listserve than
anywhere else or from anybody, and it's all free. In fact, it's even better
than some seminars that I have attended where we learn only the experience,
judgement and opinion of one person, Anytime someone brings up a topic asking
question or opinions from other engineers, we get a lot of responses.

I think it is even possible to start a seminar here by just starting a topic,
ask questions and hopefully, there will be enough experience engineers
respond. For instance, it's been a long time since I did a tilt-up building.
I remember that there was still a h/t limit on the wall and the panelized
roofing consist of 2x's @ 24" oc, 4x, 6x, or GLP's @ 8'-0" oc, a series of
cantilevered and simple span GLB's. Now, I heard that the cheapest roof
system is the prefabricated,open web steel trusses and girders instead of
wood purlins and GLB's. Walls have gotten thinner after the tilt-up wall test
in the dessert as long as you just follow the formula in the UBC or ACI. I
even heard from some Canadian Engineers involved in Design-Build Projects
that they did a building with a wall with roof ledgers 35 ft. high and they
used two layers of vertical reinforcements and picked the thinnest wall
section that will work with the UBC and ACI formula. I didn't believe it at
first but when I tried it using the formula, it works. I still would not use
it on my job unless I get feedback from other engineers on possible and
actual problems using such a thin wall even if it calcs out. Anyway, If I
ever have a chance to do a tilt-up project now, I can either ask other
engineers I know who have done tilt-ups lately, attend a seminar (if there is
one available), or I can ask questions here at the listserve and hopefully
get enough response to get me started. As long as other engineers are willing
to share their experiences(good and bad), judgement and opinions, and as long
as we use our judgement and discretion on whatever we read on the listserve,
and we do our own research, we will all be OK.

What I'm trying to say is that this listserve is Online Newsletter and
MORE!!!!!! We can make it whatever we want, although there are limits and
dangers, it is up to us.

Ernie Natividad.