RE: SEAOSC Seminars

From:	Williston Warren IV [SMTP:billw4(--nospam--at)pbs1.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 6:42 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	SEAOSC Seminars

As a new member of the SEAOSC Board of Directors, I felt the
first item I
would address is the format SEAOSC used in presenting seminars.
 Many, as I
do when doing a presentation, in court, mediation or otherwise
use a
laptop, powerpoint and either an "elmo" or digital projector.
 When using
an "elmo" or digital projector, a VCR can be used to record the
visual
portion of the presentation and the voice of the presentor.

I prepared a package of info, review from pc mag, on digital
projectors
along with the price and the price make the board take a step
backwards.
But the idea was not killed, but considered for rental of
projectors.

This idea came from discussions with Don Gilbert regarding the
sales of
seminar notes and that it represents a significant income.  I
feel that
seminars, now that the information is becoming more techically
deep, should
be recorded by taping a digital presentation.  This would
require that
speakers prepare presenations with powerpoint or other packages.
 Adding a
tape to the sale of notes would increase the sales.  This could
also
memorialize special presenations or presentors.

I record litigation presentations so the notes and copy of the
tape can be
provided to new parties to the case without gathering the entire
group of
attornies and parties.

Anyone who feels that SEAOSC or SEAOC should pursue this tack,
should
notifiy the Board or Board Member.

		Bill Warren

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  Bill, please see my comments on the SEAONC
UCB 97 Seminar from yesterday. I think you hit on a key program
here. Powerpoint. Not only is it easy, as you indicated, to tape
the siminar with the appropriate projector, but Powerpoint would
make if easy to transfer the presentation and audio to CD-ROM
for those that would rather store seminars on disk.
Please consider this as a possibility when you discuss it with
the board.
Dennis